Socializing
Being born in January in the midst of flu season did not bode well for Whitney's socialization with other adults or kids. Although Whitney is not always accepting of her time spent away from home or meeting new faces, we decided she needs to get out, see other people and get over this phase!
Poor Grandma and Aunt Kelley had to be the first ones to try this and their adventure was less than fun to say the least. I had seminars in Oxford all day last Friday, the longest I've ever been away from her, and left her in the loving care of my mom and sister. I called and text with them all day and bless their hearts they said things were going well and that she was only a little fussy. When my day was finally over and I was on my way back to my little girl, they filled me in on what really happened during the seven hours that I was away. Apparently my precious Whitney screamed bloody murder for three hours straight and there was nothing they could do to stop her. They tried every trick in the book and she would look at them and start screaming again. Eventually they decided to tag team her and give each other a break from the ear piercing screams! When I walked into the house that afternoon I saw Whitney's red face from crying and my mom and Kelley's wide eyes from the stress and knew it had been a rough day :(.
My heart goes out to all three of them as I know it must have been the longest day of their lives. Its been a week now and Whitney still screams whenever I am out of her sight, even screaming when Ryan tries to put her to bed because she cannot see me. Heres to hoping that she gets over this phase before school starts because that will be a rough transition!
On Tuesday Ryan was forced to take a half day because I was headed to Oxford once again for my Master's Defense. I told him that I could not put Whitney, nor another babysitter through what my mom and sister had gone through only days before. Thankfully Whitney didn't cry while I was away because she felt safe in our own home with Daddy but still refused to nap for him! On a happier note, because Ryan was able to watch her, I am now finished with my graduate coursework and have no more classes or homework to worry about!!!
On Wednesday Aunt Kelley came over to walk and hang out with us and Whitney didn't seem to connect her face to the scary ordeal last Friday. She even let Aunt Kelley feed her squash! Although she did not hold Whitney, she was able to push the stroller, help with bath time and sit close enough to play with her without any tears!!
On Thursday Whitney and I ventured out to visit the Bishop girls for a lunch play date. Emma and Caroline are so good with Whitney, they were able to read her a book and entertain her while I left the room to fix a bottle. Jenny better prepare those girls because when they get a little older, I will be calling on them for their babysitting services!! We had a wonderful time visiting with Jenny, Emma and Caroline and even left with some goodies. Whitney is enjoying Caroline and Emma's cd's that they no longer listen to, hopefully Whitney will enjoy them as much as they seemed to have enjoyed them growing up.
Today (Friday) we had a play date with Jamison and baby Will (still in mommy's tummy) at a park near Ryan's work. We met at the park and watched the kids playing in the water. Whitney and Jamison both experienced the fountains of water but didn't appear quite ready for the fun...it was pretty cold!! This was Jamison and Whitney's second play date and Im sure there will be many more in the future. Whitney even managed to look at Jamison this time and smile!! The weirdest part was that when we walked up to the water area we saw Aunt Elaine and JJ playing with their friends!! What a small world!!
Towards the end of our play date, Daddy showed up with lunch and got to spend a little quality time with his girls:) It is so cute to watch Whitney light up when she realizes that her Daddy has walked into the room. She sure does seem to be a big Daddy's girl!!
So week one of project Socialization is over and not much has changed in regards to Whitney's comfort level with strangers. Onto week two: we hope that she'll start to warm up to people other than me...sooner rather than later!!!
Poor Grandma and Aunt Kelley had to be the first ones to try this and their adventure was less than fun to say the least. I had seminars in Oxford all day last Friday, the longest I've ever been away from her, and left her in the loving care of my mom and sister. I called and text with them all day and bless their hearts they said things were going well and that she was only a little fussy. When my day was finally over and I was on my way back to my little girl, they filled me in on what really happened during the seven hours that I was away. Apparently my precious Whitney screamed bloody murder for three hours straight and there was nothing they could do to stop her. They tried every trick in the book and she would look at them and start screaming again. Eventually they decided to tag team her and give each other a break from the ear piercing screams! When I walked into the house that afternoon I saw Whitney's red face from crying and my mom and Kelley's wide eyes from the stress and knew it had been a rough day :(.
My heart goes out to all three of them as I know it must have been the longest day of their lives. Its been a week now and Whitney still screams whenever I am out of her sight, even screaming when Ryan tries to put her to bed because she cannot see me. Heres to hoping that she gets over this phase before school starts because that will be a rough transition!
On Tuesday Ryan was forced to take a half day because I was headed to Oxford once again for my Master's Defense. I told him that I could not put Whitney, nor another babysitter through what my mom and sister had gone through only days before. Thankfully Whitney didn't cry while I was away because she felt safe in our own home with Daddy but still refused to nap for him! On a happier note, because Ryan was able to watch her, I am now finished with my graduate coursework and have no more classes or homework to worry about!!!
On Wednesday Aunt Kelley came over to walk and hang out with us and Whitney didn't seem to connect her face to the scary ordeal last Friday. She even let Aunt Kelley feed her squash! Although she did not hold Whitney, she was able to push the stroller, help with bath time and sit close enough to play with her without any tears!!
On Thursday Whitney and I ventured out to visit the Bishop girls for a lunch play date. Emma and Caroline are so good with Whitney, they were able to read her a book and entertain her while I left the room to fix a bottle. Jenny better prepare those girls because when they get a little older, I will be calling on them for their babysitting services!! We had a wonderful time visiting with Jenny, Emma and Caroline and even left with some goodies. Whitney is enjoying Caroline and Emma's cd's that they no longer listen to, hopefully Whitney will enjoy them as much as they seemed to have enjoyed them growing up.
Today (Friday) we had a play date with Jamison and baby Will (still in mommy's tummy) at a park near Ryan's work. We met at the park and watched the kids playing in the water. Whitney and Jamison both experienced the fountains of water but didn't appear quite ready for the fun...it was pretty cold!! This was Jamison and Whitney's second play date and Im sure there will be many more in the future. Whitney even managed to look at Jamison this time and smile!! The weirdest part was that when we walked up to the water area we saw Aunt Elaine and JJ playing with their friends!! What a small world!!
Towards the end of our play date, Daddy showed up with lunch and got to spend a little quality time with his girls:) It is so cute to watch Whitney light up when she realizes that her Daddy has walked into the room. She sure does seem to be a big Daddy's girl!!
So week one of project Socialization is over and not much has changed in regards to Whitney's comfort level with strangers. Onto week two: we hope that she'll start to warm up to people other than me...sooner rather than later!!!







Comments
Post a Comment