St. John Festival

12 years ago this past weekend Ryan and I met at the St. Johns Festival for the very first time.  Although he didn't really talk to me that night all that much, we became friends and later that year started dating.  I have always loved going back to the festival because it holds so many great memories for the two of us as well as with our friends and family.  For the past five or six years we have helped serve at the beer booth with Jim and Elaine and sadly we didn't get to do that this year.  We were bummed and plan to pick up the tradition next year.

As some of you know, at last years festival we won a baby basket full of things like a stroller, car seat, bedding, bathtub, etc.  It was so fun and exciting that I decided I had to do it again this year.  So we braved the heat and took Whitney to her first festival on Sunday night.  We met Jim and Elaine at the baskets and picked out the ones we wanted to put our tickets in.  Just like last year I spent $20 and put a majority of the tickets into one basket.  This year it is an adorable easel with supplies for Whitney (when she is older of course), a kid table with chairs as well as a toddler bed and sheets.  We also put a few tickets into a home beer brewing kit since Ryan has always wanted to do that.  Hopefully we hear something today that our winning streak has continued!!

After the baskets we decided to go get something to eat.  Whitney was getting fussy so we knew we had to hurry.  We decided to get food in shifts since it is so hard to carry.  We got a walking taco and a piece of pizza.  In hindsight I would have gone straight for what I really wanted, had I known what was going to happen next.

Whit and I found a table and sat down to wait for the others.  As I craned my neck trying to find Ryan, I noticed the skies behind us are pitch black and started to hear thunder in the distance.  This was not good.  Mostly because it is dangerous to be sitting on metal chairs and about a mile away from our car but also because I DID NOT GET MY CORN!!!!  The main reason we went to the festival, other than the baskets, was to get the ever famous corn on the cob.

Just as all four of us sit down, the wind starts to pick up and the lightening strikes/thunder gets closer.  We scarfed down our food and decide, with about half of the crowd, to make a mad dash to our car before the skies let loose.  Ryan decides I am not as efficient as him with the stroller so he takes over.  About a second later he (MR. EFFICIENT) decides to take a "short cut" and runs over some yellow caution tape.  The tape does not cooperate and twists itself around the wheel of the stroller!!!  You can tell in his face he knows what Im thinking as he tries unsuccessfully to unhook the tire.  A nice lady leans down and rips the tape free of the tire as I stand yards away hiding my laugh :)

We get to the car and actually all the way home in Loveland before the rain even starts to fall.  In all fairness I did complain that we ran from the festival when it did even rain...plenty of time for my corn!!  Mother nature had to show me up and just as we pulled into the driveway we were welcomed with a huge downpour that soaked all three of us!!

What an adventure.  If we win a basket it will have all been worth it though!!!

We managed to snap a picture before we ran off and of course we had to get a picture of the scary sky as we were running to our car!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

first word

tooth or a ham?

Fantasy Football