Human Error

You may remember back to a previous blog post three weeks ago where I took Whitney out for her first run on the Loveland Bike Trail. In case you forgot, it was a wonderful and memorable experience. Whitney smiled, giggled and slept, while I was excited and prideful of my baby girl.

Fast forward to this morning.....same deal, Daddy is excited to get some exercise, all the while getting Whitney outdoors and getting Mommy some much needed rest. Let's just say this run didn't go on quite like the previous....

Throughout the course of my childhood, my parents gave me some really good advice. Work hard, treat everyone with respect, etc. Though not nearly as profound, I also remember them telling me that when our dog (Jackie) did something bad, 99.9% of the time, it was due to human error. Suffice to say I didn't quite learn that lesson as it relates to Whitney. Let me get to the run...

Whitney was kind of fussy from the start. But, I thought I recalled the same thing when we ran three weeks ago. So, I pushed through thinking she would fall asleep in no time. The fussing continued until I was about two miles into my run, and she started crying even harder. So, we stopped and I looked at her and she smiled back and everything was great! I resumed my run and the same thing happened. We stop again, and I start to think of all the things that could be bothering her (followed by my internal thought process):

  • Is she too hot? (she can't be; she's in the shade with only a onesie on)
  • Does she have a dirty diaper? (I lean over to smell and sure enough, it smells poopy! O no, I do not have any clean diapers, nor would I have anywhere to change her!!!!!!!)
  • Is she tired and just can't get to sleep? (her pacifier should help....O no, left that at home on the kitchen counter!!!!!!)
  • Is she bored and needs something to play with? (Oooops, I left her toys at home too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Frantically, I call Casey as Whitney continues her frenzy, somehow thinking she would have some magical advice for the unprepared dad. Then, I think of a solution....maybe Casey could drive a few things down to the bike trail for me (diaper, pacifier, toys). I quickly realize that solution will not work because: a) there are no roads in and around the bike trail, and b) I have the only set of keys to the car that's at the house.

Imagine, for a minute, being two miles from your car with a crying baby and nothing in your possession to soothe her. Talk about human error!! I won't be making that mistake again!

So, I turn around and head back towards the car expecting that I would be running two more miles with a crying baby, disrupting everyone's peaceful walk/run/jog/bike through the trail. I lift her out of the jogging stroller and hold her in an attempt to soothe her. It seems to be working! But, I can't possibly walk two miles holding a 16 lb. baby while pushing a stroller, can I? Imagine what passersby were thinking...."What is this guy doing? Put her in the stroller, you fool! Isn't that what the stroller is for? Etc, etc...."

I was a sweaty mess. I struggled through 1/2 mile with her in my arms when I feel that she is starting to settle down. I thought I would try the stroller again. More fussiness for a minute or two but then she fell asleep!!!!! All it took was a little love from Daddy! I ran the final 1.5 miles with Whitney asleep in the stroller. Needless to say, that was the fastest pace I've run in some time! I was FLYING!

All of this was my fault and could have easily been avoided. My moral(s) of this story.....1) Listen to your parents, 2) Be prepared, 3) For babies, nothing is better than human touch, and 4) I can be a pretty fast runner when I want to be!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

first word

tooth or a ham?

Fantasy Football