Tonsillectomy

Well it was finally time for the dreaded tonsillectomy.  She had strep throat and sinus infections more times than we could count last school year so it was not really an option; especially since every time someone looked in her mouth they said, "wow those are HUGE!"

Whit was such a champ before the surgery, she barely said anything about being nervous and was in good spirits the WHOLE TIME.  It was awful watching her go under for surgery but thankfully it only lasted twenty minutes and I got to see her very quickly.  I was up before the nurse even finished saying her name and ran back to her bedside.  Of course she started crying as soon as she saw me and just looked pitiful.

I don't even want to think about those first two hours after surgery.  It was miserable for her and I honestly thought I would going to pass out from worry and sadness.  She was in so much pain, kept crying and asking to go home....it just broke my heart.  Ryan even had to sit down and take some deep breaths because we were just so sick over how awful she felt and the fact that we couldn't do anything for her.  I started crying at one point and told Ryan (while whit was sleeping) I wish we didn't do this to her!

Once she got home she was in better spirits and has honestly been such a trooper this whole time.  Popsicles, jello, crushed ice and ice cream have been her diet of choice these past few days.  We knew medicine would be a pain because she hates swallowing mortin and Tylenol without throat pain so we have had to get creative.  At all hours of the night I am waking up to make fresh slushies to mix her pill in so that it is cold and she doesn't taste the pill.  Its a good thing I love her so much right? Hopefully in the next few days we can let her sleep without waking her and give meds as needed throughout the day.

Its been a roller coaster of pain and emotions from the start.  It hurts to swallow but she needs to take meds to help with her pain, she only wants to eat crunchy food but it will break her scabs....  as I said she has been one tough girl.  We are all so proud of her and the fact that she doesn't complain, just gets herself some ice chips and goes on with whatever she is doing.  I am liking all the cuddling but at the same time can't wait for our sweet Whitney to be back to normal and not in pain!

Heres to a lot less sickness this school year.  See ya never tonsils!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

first word

tooth or a ham?

Fantasy Football