Soccer
Whitney decided to give soccer a try this spring and lo and behold, Papaw ended up being her coach. I wasn't sure how she would like it because I literally had to force her to practice with me but she really enjoyed the first game. There have been two rain out weekends and two games.
After the first week, I think every parent went home and made their kid practice! There was a huge difference in game two and it was a relief to the coaches I am sure!! I know on my end, I worked Whitney hard. I made her steal the ball from me, dribble the length of the yard and practice shooting, and I even pushed back a little bit to show her its okay to have contact with other kids. She was so afraid to steal the ball from me, or anyone for that matter, because she thought it was mean. Funny how we spend our time teaching them to share and be polite so when they get into situations like soccer games where they should take charge and get the ball, they feels nervous!! I was proud of her the second game, she really got in there and kicked the ball a few times. She is the tallest kid on her team and even the tallest kid on the field for that matter! Contact sports may not be her thing but I'm going to do everything I can to toughen this girly girl up while she is playing this spring:)!!!
Each week a player is awarded a medal. The coaches tell the kids they are looking for certain characteristics before the game and at the end, they award a child that demonstrated it the best. The first week was listening and Whitney got the medal. Bret was worried that Whit would expect a medal every time and didn't want to hurt her feelings because everyone needed a turn to be recognized. So I prepared her and told her that it probably won't be her turn right away and that she needs to be patient. Whitney truly was the best listener that day though. As other teammates lay on the ground crying, picking flowers, running back to their parents....the list goes on, Whitney stayed on the field and did what the coaches asked of her. Not a big surprise huh? :) She is so so proud of that medal and wears it often!
Having Bret has her coach is awesome. I mean who wouldn't love that right? She just feels so special and loves getting the extra one on one time with him. It really does melt my heart that he is so willing to give his time (and sanity) to help Whitney's team play! And as an added bonus that means Mamaw is on the sidelines too -- quite the cheering section.
After the first week, I think every parent went home and made their kid practice! There was a huge difference in game two and it was a relief to the coaches I am sure!! I know on my end, I worked Whitney hard. I made her steal the ball from me, dribble the length of the yard and practice shooting, and I even pushed back a little bit to show her its okay to have contact with other kids. She was so afraid to steal the ball from me, or anyone for that matter, because she thought it was mean. Funny how we spend our time teaching them to share and be polite so when they get into situations like soccer games where they should take charge and get the ball, they feels nervous!! I was proud of her the second game, she really got in there and kicked the ball a few times. She is the tallest kid on her team and even the tallest kid on the field for that matter! Contact sports may not be her thing but I'm going to do everything I can to toughen this girly girl up while she is playing this spring:)!!!
Each week a player is awarded a medal. The coaches tell the kids they are looking for certain characteristics before the game and at the end, they award a child that demonstrated it the best. The first week was listening and Whitney got the medal. Bret was worried that Whit would expect a medal every time and didn't want to hurt her feelings because everyone needed a turn to be recognized. So I prepared her and told her that it probably won't be her turn right away and that she needs to be patient. Whitney truly was the best listener that day though. As other teammates lay on the ground crying, picking flowers, running back to their parents....the list goes on, Whitney stayed on the field and did what the coaches asked of her. Not a big surprise huh? :) She is so so proud of that medal and wears it often!
Comments
Post a Comment