Family of Four
I was actually allowed to go home Sunday evening after only one night in the hospital, which I didn't think was going to be possible because of the drug testing issue. But they got it all straightened out and we were on our way home around 5:00 p.m. Sunday evening.
Its funny looking back to how scared we were driving home with Whitney and how I sat in the back to make sure she was okay. Meredith was back there with Whitney, two adults in the front as if nothing were out of the ordinary ha!.....Second child syndrome right?
The first few days went by quickly. Whit was a HUGE help and loved holding her sister, getting us diapers or burp cloths when needed. We were all just very tired obviously so we spent time catching up on sleep when we could and Daddy took Whitney on some special dates to keep her occupied!
Then Wednesday hits! It wasn't a good day. I think the exhaustion caught up with us and it all hit the fan. It started with Meredith's visit to the doctor where they told us she lost 11% of her body weight since leaving the hospital and that she would need to come back for a weight check in two days. If she did not gain, she would need to start taking a bottle with formula to supplement. I lost it. I was just so sad and upset that she wasn't getting enough from me and that felt helpless.
**Mere gained 8 ounces for her weight check which was great and then not even two weeks later has gained over two lbs!!!!!!!!!
We get home and Whitney could probably feel the tension because it was a rough night for her too. All four of us ended up crying in Whitney's room that night for one reason or another...not a pretty sight I tell you. Whit and I had a good heart to heart conversation about how sometimes change is hard. How we were so excited for Meredith to come but it is harder then we thought it was going to be but it would get better. We talked about all the things that were different and how we could maybe make them work for us now. It was a great talk and honestly left us all feeling a little better. Upon leaving her room that night Ryan and I decided that we were going to cancel all visitors for the rest of the week and weekend to just be a family and figure things out. BEST decision we made. We just needed that time to test the waters and get in our groove. The next morning things were better and it improved everyday!
We've had our ups and downs and are trying to figure out life with Daddy back at work but feel complete now. We even survived our first busy week where Daddy cannot come home for dinner!!!! So thankful for Mamaw and her presence here the past few weeks and the meals that countless people have made us, what a difference that makes! We have our little family and we are all happy so that is all that matters in my book. I do have to remind myself of that on days like yesterday when there was poop sprayed all over the floor, drinks spilled, bloody knees, sobbing kids, spit up in my mouth, and a crazed mommy going on three weeks of sleepless nights. BUT I do know its temporary and that it is all worth it in the end :)
Oh and so many people have asked. Yes, Whitney does still call her Keeba. More often then not that is what she calls her haha!
Comments
Post a Comment