Its POTTY time!
Whit and I have been talking about going potty on the big girl potty for a few weeks now. She is very excited to go to the store and pick out big girl undies, Minnie mouse of course, and even repeats over and over to herself, "Im gonna say I have to pee mommy, then run to the potty and go go go!!" haha:)
However we haven't really tired going on the potty just yet. She has her unused plastic potty upstairs that she pretends to sit in but she has yet to try it. Tonight however, she was in the tub playing her new favorite game, alphabet soup, when she declared that she needed to poop. Ive been through this before and didn't want to clean the whole tub all by myself with a wet toddler, so I grabbed her and put her on her potty.
She sat there for awhile and said no mommy, look that way not here..... Nothing happened and she eventually went back into the tub, where I washed her as quickly as I could....just in case:).
While I was putting her lotion and jammies on, she said she had to go again so I left the room and let her be. She was breathing all heavy (as she does whenever she is really into something and concentrating hard) and moving every which way to get comfy on her potty. I was able to peek and saw her trying to crouch down like she usually does but that wasn't exactly comfy and then try other ways before choosing to just sit down!
She gasped when it happened and I went running because we really haven't talked about this situation and wanted to make sure she didn't try to pick it up or something haha!!! She could not have been happier! We of course made a huge deal about it, and she felt so proud flushing the toilet and washing her hands:) She giggled all night and kept talking about the whole situation and what she did...too cute!!! Guess I better get into gear and make sure I start this potty training sooner rather than later!!
I guess I better put in here, since we are talking about firsts, that Whitney had her first "take a break" experience the other day. I am not a fan of time out, probably because we were urged not to use it at school when I was teaching, and tend to try to be proactive with things instead. I know I have to be realistic in that Whitney is trying to push the limits and needs time to "think" about what shes don't but let me tell you....its so so much easier to do this with five and six year olds that aren't your own child!!!!
Ive been dreading this but could see it coming for sure. She is a talker but really the word we hear the most is "no" and in Florida we had our hands full as she was defying and pushing her limits all the time. This particular time she was stepping on a puzzle box top; and I asked her to stop hurting her toys and to stand on the ground, when she smiled and did it again. So I picked her up, set her on the fireplace and said in my most calm teacher voice, "you are sitting here because you were not listening to me." then I turned my head didn't speak or look at her and made sure she sat there. I told myself I would count to 40 and then let her get up.
She took if for a few seconds then tried to hug me. Broke my heart because at 30 seconds she LOST it. Literally lost it. As soon as I let her get down she ran right up stairs and asked me to put her in her bed (which is a new development since Florida too. Whenever she is upset or way too tired she asks to go to her bed where she lays, talks to herself and I guess, regroups) Now whenever we go near the fireplace she says, "I do NOT want to sit there." hahaha :(
Oh my the first of many right:)
Comments
Post a Comment